Tuesday 24 June 2014

♥ Goodbye Halls!


When I moved to Cornwall from Birmingham, I had no idea I would be finishing the year with such a changed perspective and personality. Moving from a massive city to a tiny little seaside town was a big change and it's made me realise just how simple life can be. Halls wasn't the easiest, but university never promised it would be easy. The first weekend I moved in was a whirlwind. I remember my first night in the student bar on campus with Grace, a girl I had met during the interview stage, who is now my best friend down here. I remember my dad leaving to drive back home and crying his eyes out because it had all become so real. He was losing his little girl. He put a wad of cash into my hand and told me to be safe and enjoy myself. I did. I really, really did. My first year at Falmouth University has been incredible. From BBQ's on campus to days shopping with the girls in Truro and ciders on the beach... I've done things I never thought I'd get to do, and it's all been with the best bunch of people I could have asked for.

Living in halls hasn't been the most glamorous of things. We joked all year that our flat was cursed. We had a stoner who never associated with us and smoked in his room (who then vanished and we have no idea what happened to him)! We had a girl who struggled through the first term and never came back after Christmas. I had the joy of living with an international student, Ali, from Switzerland and that taught me a lot about food and snow sports. We ended up as a flat of four girls and one boy. Us girls got along just fine and I had the pleasure of making two brilliant friends in Tash and Daisy and I know I'll keep in touch with them over the next few years. We had movie nights where we'd transform the kitchen into our cinema and bake (then gorge on) chocolate cake together. It was an absolute pleasure to live with them.

I'm now the only person left in the flat and it's so surreal to be just living in a skeleton of the flat we made our home. My dad's driving down to pick me up and take me home this weekend and it does feel like it's the end of an era. I can't quite believe I made it, but it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for the phenomenal people I'm on this journey with!


Now, I just have to tackle living with my best friends for a few years.... That can't be too hard, surely?!

       

Em x





2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've had an action packed year! I've just finished my first year at Uni too at Durham :)
    xx

    Salted Roses // UK Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's been a journey and a half! Love your blog sweet x x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...