Friday 18 July 2014

♥ If You Do One Thing This Summer...



I've always been a massive reader and I've always been that friend that picks out books that people might like. I've recently found myself yelling at friends to read the book, rather than watch the movie... And the popularity of The Fault In Our Stars is the main reason why. It's a tearjerker alright. As a massive John Green fan, you'd assume I'd watched the adaption - but I haven't. I just didn't like TFIOS. I didn't finish it and I don't think I'll pick it up again for a long while.... and that's ok. It is perfectly alright to put down a book you're not enjoying. It took me ages to decide that it was ok to do so, and now I have, I see myself picking up (and thoroughly enjoying) books I wouldn't have looked twice at otherwise. Young Adult has always been my favourite genre. It's always been my pick me up when things haven't gone so well and reading about the lives of young adults has helped me to live out a childhood I feel I missed out on due to my mother being ill. So, when I do stray away from my beloved YA titles, it's a bit of a shock. It's always a brilliant feeling though - to discover something new to enjoy.

My general gist of this post is to suggest that if you do one thing this summer, pick up one of these books. They're a few of my current favourites and are very popular within their genres.

If I Stay - Gayle Forman
Gayle Forman isn't a big name yet. It will be. With the release of the movie adaption of If I Stay gracing cinema's later this year, and one of the finest young actors in the business - Chloe Grace Moretz - taking on the role of Mia, it's sure to be as big as The Fault In Our Stars. If I Stay is the tale of a young musician whose life is dramatically changed by a fatal accident. Looking upon her own damaged body, Mia has to make the hardest choice of all. A touching story about love and friendship that will almost certainly cause heartache.

Looking For Alaska - John Green
My favourite John Green title had to be included. Looking For Alaska was John Green's debut novel and is soon to become a movie, too, after the huge commercial success of TFIOS. Alaska is a book that follows protagonist Miles, who has a strange obsession with famous last words, to boarding school where he meets the mysterious Alaska Young. When she doesn't return romantic feelings, Miles is shook but never disheartens and when Alaska is killed due to driving, drunk, Miles and his friends are all battered by the news. It's a brilliant read, and I'm almost certain that you've seen the famous 'if people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.' line from this novel. John Green captures young lust beautifully within this title!

Tuesdays With Morrie - Mitch Albom
I purchased this title in Kuala Lumpur airport because I had an eight hour stop over and was feeling too ill to go and sight see the city. A few of Mitch Albom's titles had caught my eye before and a few have even been lying in my 'Wish List' on Amazon for a long while... but I'd never actually picked one up. I do like my sad stories and this memoir jumped out at me because I knew my best friend, Paige, had been reading a few of his books and had been emotionally distraught by them. I knew that this book would capture my heart but I didn't realise it would take me on such a journey. Tuesdays With Morrie is a heart wrenching memoir by Albom about a professor he had a very surreal relationship with. The wise old Morrie teaches Mitch - and now his 11 million readers - that death is a beautiful journey. Morrie teaches you that if you do all you want to with your life, your death will come naturally and you will embrace whichever path death takes you on. At times it can get a bit difficult to read because it's so vivid and emotional - but it is definitely a book you will want to finish.


Do you think you're going to have a go at these titles? Or have you read any of them? Let me know your thoughts!

You can also check out my Wish List full of books on Amazon here. You may get some inspiration to read something different - and Amazon is a super cheap way to buy books!

Em x

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...